Sunday, January 4, 2015

52 Weeks Photo Project (52/1).

As I promised to myself I started my Project 52.

I chose a theme for my project – “The Simple Things”. I’ll take one photo per week of a simple thing that means something to me, that evokes a memory or recalls associations.


My first photo is the photo of my Teddy Bear.

Here’s a story. Once upon a time there was a girl. She was 5 years old and she believed in Grandfather Frost (the name of Russian Santa Claus). On the New Year eve her mom and dad asked her what present she would like to receive from Grandfather Frost. She answered she wanted a Teddy Bear. And when she stood up early in the morning and ran to the New Year tree, she saw an adorable Teddy Bear. “Thank you so much, dear Grandfather Frost!” – said the little girl. Some years later she understood that all New Year presents were the presents from her parents, not from Grandfather Frost…
So this little girl was me. And for me a Teddy Bear is the symbol of the very happy period of my life – my childhood. And it’s the symbol of the childhood in general.


 Andrew Shtulman writes in a study in the journal Cognitive Development,
“Santa violates our expectations about spatiotemporal continuity by visiting all the world’s children in a single night; he violates expectations about containment by entering children’s houses through their narrow chimneys; and he violates expectations about support by flying through the air on a wooden sleigh.” Children's belief in Santa (Grandfather Frost, Farther Frost, Le Père Noël) is stronger than in any other fantasy character, and that belief persists for several years.

A Teddy Bear has his own story, which you can read here.
At the age of 6 I went to school. One of the first English poems that I learned by heart was a poem about a Teddy Bear. I think many people remember this funny poem too, though as I know now, it has many versions. So a Teddy Bear is a symbol of the first years at school too.

“Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around!
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground…
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn off the light.
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, say goodnight.”

 Thank you for reading!

Feel free to tell me about your projects in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment